Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

You and Me vs You and I - What's the Difference?

Many have been told that listening to English songs can help them learn English. Indeed, listening to these is a good practice; however, one should also be keen in noticing grammar mistakes on their lyrics. Some songs use very good grammar while some might have overlooked grammar rules. One of these problems is that usage of "you and I" and "you and me."

First, let us discuss what pronouns are. Pronouns are words that are used to substitute nouns in the sentences. They avoid redundancy and make the sentence much more pleasing to look at and even listen to. 

Compare the two sentences:

John made a cup of coffee for Jenny. Jenny was in the living room reading Jenny’s book while John was in the kitchen making some snacks.  
John made a cup of coffee for Jenny. She was in the living room reading her book while he was in the kitchen making some snacks. 

With the usage of pronouns, we avoid repeating the same nouns and the sentence sounds much better and smarter. 

There are different kinds of pronouns and personal pronouns are one of them. Personal pronouns are used in place of the name of the person or people we are talking about in the sentence. Personal pronouns are divided into two: subject pronouns and object pronouns

  • Subject pronouns function as the subject of the sentence. I, You, He, She, It, They, and We are subject pronouns. 
  • Object pronouns basically function as objects in the sentence: whether it is object of the verb or object of the preposition. 

In the case of "You and I" and "You and me", the former is used as the subject of the sentence while the latter is used as the object of the sentence or the object of the preposition.

Examples:
  • We have been fighting for weeks for such stupid reasons. You and I need to have a serious talk. 
  • You and I were chosen to represent the class to the national championships. 
  • You and I are best friends. We have been together for many years now. 
  • The school chose you and me to represent in the national quiz bee championships. 
  • My aunt gave you and me tickets for the play. I am so excited!
  • Between you and me, I think Prof. Kim needs to get some rest. He is so stressed. 
Remembering this can save you from grammar errors, both in speaking and writing. Hence, think first on which to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment